Monday, September 7, 2009

Viognier and a Delightful Film

As I was sipping Viognier last night and watching one of those surprising TV movies that turn out to be really great; it struck me that Viognier is, quite possibly, the perfect movie watching wine.

A combination of exotic appeal and low acidity make it a wine to drink slowly but not necessarily with food. Plus it's quixotic enough to hold your interest whilst allowing clever plot turns to take most of your attention.

The Viognier in question was the Yalumba Eden Valley Viognier 2007 and in the glass it was proving that Yalumba have really nailed this difficult variety in the New World. For a snip of a price it was echoing the varietal's origins in Condrieu and, although presenting a little hot, it had the spice and apricot charms that make Viognier so unique. Still I've yet to taste a Antipodean Viognier that doesn't run to heat and the burn somehow didn't detract from the overall balance of the wine.

So, if you want to cosy up on the couch with something other than a hearty red to accompany the latest rom-com then this is my pick. a 3 glass wine. Also, it's recession and baby budget friendly.

As an aside: the film was Stranger Than Fiction. A bit of a revelation given I don't recollect it showing at the cinema......

1 comment:

Jeremy Pringle said...

I'm not sure if you've had them, but I'd recommend a 2008 Yalumba Virgillius Viongnier, any recent vintage Clonakilla Viognier, 2007 on from Brokenwood and a different take on the grape in the form of the 2009 Blue Poles version.

I've not found any alcohol heat in any of these, though I do know it is a often a balancing act with the variety.


Cheers

jeremy