Friday, November 14, 2008

Fromm a Winery I Admire

The Fromm Dry Riesling Marlborough 2007 had me stumped last night. I think my nose is having some issues because everything smells like apricots. Initially the aromas seemed fat with peaches and a matchstick tang in the background and, without knowing what I had in front of me, I was confused. A wee sip shattered the blowsy first approach with its white lightening purity and bone tingling acidity. Unmistakably Riesling now.

A fat nose of peaches with a matchstick tang but a fatness that blows off after a while and resolves itself into apple blossom and lemons with that flinty, struck match character lurking underneath. Becoming sharper and more piercing with each breath. The palate is very long, linear and pointy. Not so much austere as peremptory.
a 1 glass wine (too intellectual to be fun).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've always struggled with their drier rieslings. i reckon this preremtorous character comes from a coercive use of SO2...the sweeter versions, however, are beautiful with any age....

Sarah said...

I believe that it's a case of drinking our Riesling too young. Our dry Rieslings tend to be a bit like the Hunter Valley Semillon in that respect. Very shy of character until they hit their straps with bottle age.