Thursday, May 7, 2009

The baby vs wine budget

Rich and I had a good talk today about just how the finances will go after the arrival of the littlest sommelier and it's become apparent that, whilst wine won't be off the agenda completely, we will be dealing with a reduced allocation.

I wish I could say that I've a carefully built cellar that will tide us through the nappy-buying years (so expensive - who knew?) but I don't and whilst I'm being a stay-at-home mummy I won't have access to the tastings and releases that were such a big feature of my work life.

So this brings me to a juncture. A time of frugal application and of mindful purchasing. If anything it can exercise my palate and knowledge further as I look to squeeze the best out of every bottle. I don't want to turn into a 'best wines for under $20' hound but there's every reason to make every glass count.

Only a month to go before I can have a whole glass of wine again. I better get cracking. First perhaps a list of what I'm dreaming of drinking....

2 comments:

Edward said...

Rachel,

I recall carrying my newborn son around to wine tastings, with him snug in a baby carrier, or a pram stuck in the corner. . . I think he has forgotten or at least repressed the memory now!

Good luck with baby and the nappies.

Edward said...

Sarah,

Sincere apologies for calling you Rachel. I think I need more coffee