Thursday, May 21, 2009

The first Sauvignon Blanc

This is one grape variety I went off in a big way whilst pregnant. Something to do with the pungent aroma and high acidity had me nauseous during my first trimester and left me cold thereafter.

Reading through my tasting notes I know that I've always had a fondness for the ubiquitous New Zealand white and now that the end is nigh and a whole glass is (almost) back on the menu I'm looking forward to a glug of the juicy, lip-smacking refresher. With all that snow glittering at me across the lake I'm picking an odd time of year to be hankering after Sauvignon Blanc.

So which one?

2008 produced some very forgettable Sauvignon Blanc and the 2009s aren't with us yet so what to want?

Seresin stands out in my mind as a charming take on the Marlborough style with a lot more class than most. Or perhaps something with racy, green Awatere fruit would be better.

Overall I'm leaning towards Hawke's Bay and the more Bordeaux Blanc type wines that come from the region.

Ah, I really feel like the panache of the Te Mata Cape Crest Sauvignon Blanc. That'll be the ticket.

5 comments:

Greg Allinson said...

For me, the Cuve Sauvignon Blanc from Church Road, if it's Hawke's Bay you're after, with a little Bordeaux twist, gotta love that barrel fermentation and lees ageing.

Sarah said...

Another one to try is the Alluviale Blanc!

Greg Allinson said...

Not tried that one yet, heard of it, will put it on my list. Only recently moved here so still exploring wines and wineries.

Sue Courtney said...

What about Sacred Hill Sauvage? That can be pretty awesome.

Good luck for the big day.
Cheers,
Sue

Craig said...

2008 te Mata Cape Crest. You have taste me dear.