Monday, January 28, 2008

A piece of 2 by 4


Appears to be sticking out of my wine and for some reason it's not all that bad. I had a nasty trick (well not that nasty really) played on me earlier tonight when my work colleagues pressed a taste of this wine into my hand with a quizzical arch of the eyebrow. I sniffed and swirled in the appropriate manner and declared;
"Over-oaked vanilla character competely dominating some fleshy grapefruit" or something like that.
"Out of balance Chardonnay" was my verdict.

Turns out I was drinking the Clearview Semillon 2007 which (horrors) I have had before and not a Chardonnay at all. I'm drinking it now too. It's actually better warmer (it was fridgid earlier) which helps the oak stay settled in the fruit rather than poking out like a rude bit in too tight shorts. With warmth this Semillon develops a generous (if slightly forward) personality of kalamansi lime and coconut. A tropical holiday in a bottle. Wearing an Hawaian shirt (and too tight shorts..)

No comments: