Friday, December 12, 2008

It is one of the strange laws of ordering wine in restaurants that certain indicators will sway a client towards one particular wine despite their never having encountered that wine before.

The laws for Pinot Noir at Christmas functions seem to dictate that it must not exceed a $90 price tag, but neither must it fall below $80 either. This being some nominal indication of the right level of quality. They also appear to dictate that the wine must hail from Central Otago, this being the only place that any self respecting Aucklander will consider as the birthplace of PineNwah.

With this in mind, and having been blind-sided by a price hike of the wine that was serving in this particular catagory, I had to search out a Central Otago Pinot that would fit the bill. This is my least favourite part of wine-list-writing. It is wine as business and commodity and shuns the romance that I would prefer.

Two wines were called to attention. The right price, the right provenance.

The Nanny Goat Central Otago Pinot Noir 2006 is a strange beast. Untypical to say the least and displaying a sexy, feral mushroom and barnyard funk to the nose. A Pinot Noir of horse manure overlaying plummy red fruits. A little bit obscure but silky and structured nonetheless.

The Wild Earth Central Otago Pinot Noir 2007 is upfront with a sweet caramel hint to the nose and plenty of muscular dark blackberry. Certainly less complex but a straightforward hit of fruit and flesh that will please whilst wearing a silly hat.

I sound cynical. I guess I am. I console myself with the fact that at least the Wild Earth doesn't display the sappy aspect that puts me off so many of his brothers.

And despite my preference for the Nany Goat's varietal charms a brief tasting with the crew confirms the Wild Earth as the more pleasing of the two. So Wild Earth it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rippon is the mother of Central Pinot Noir, so complex, and balanced in the past couple of vintages sine Nick Mills took the helm. Cornish Point from Felton is lovely as well. The Wild earth 2006 was the Best pinot in the world according to iwc, but whatever? Nanny goat I have tried and was not moved. Great reviews keep them up, always of interest.

D

Sarah said...

I agree with you about Rippon. Out of the Central producers they make a Pinot that contrasts balance and an utamed quality with stunning results. I believe, although I have not tried, that some of the super-premiums from Central Otago are showing some good stuff but for my money the best PN is coming from Waipara. They are pricey but Bell Hill and the home vineyard wines from Pyramid Valley are stunning.