Thursday, March 27, 2008

Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay 2006

It's usual to write about wine that you like. Usually what is in the glass infront of you is something you're pre-disposed to wanting to drink. It's not usual to buy or order wine that you're going to dislike. So when presented with the Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay 2006 it's a struggle to come at it from an objective standpoint. Firstly, I've not met a Kim Crawford wine I was much fond of and secondly, I'm equally as enamoured of the Unoaked Chardonnay style (unless it's Chablis, bone dry and minerally). But here goes....

Deep gold with the faintest straw-brown tinge (what?). Doesn't smell like much. Melon, peach and hay (if I have to put down something). First impressions are a very grainy texture, slightly bitter with a paradoxical touch of sweetness. The palate puts me in mind of Nashi pear and alcohol. Apparently the juice underwent malolactic fermentation but this is not evident in a creamy mouthfeel or flavour.

This may be a bit old for an unoaked Chardonnay to be showing at its best but it doesn't change the fact that the lingering finish is of booze, and not distinguished booze at that. Prejudices are obviously very hard to put aside.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A bloke has to have some less than admirable buys in the collection. That's if I actually bought the Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay 2006. A quick look around the wine racks won't show any other Kim Crawford wines. However I do rely on Sarah to tell me when I've done a bad wine thing, so I guess I should just relax and accept that there could be better wines around.