Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Distinctive Adult Sophistication

The Mountford Pinot Noir has been riding high in my estimation since I first tried the 2004 early last year so I guess I was a little biased when I got to try the Mountford Pinot Noir 2001 but it was everything I was expecting and more. My notes are perfunctory at best but I'm excusing myself on the basis that I was too busy salivating over the wine.

Garnet red with a dilute rim. Morello cherry and cinnamon buns. Mouthfeel primary plus. A silky feel. Very feminine. Lots of secondary bottle stuff (?) and no sappy aspect. So much life and such a delicious mouthful. Scrummy and so Mountford. Harmonous but youthful.

And then.....

Anita Baker (underlined)

And that's it. A little scrappy, non?

Still an excerpt from Anita Baker's biography makes more sense of my thoughts

With her classy, refined brand of romantic soul, Anita Baker was one of the definitive quiet storm singers of the '80s. Gifted with a strong, supple alto, Baker was influenced not only by R&B, but jazz, gospel, and traditional pop, which gave her music a distinctly adult sophistication. Smooth and mellow, but hardly lifeless, it made her one of the most popular romantic singers of her time.

No comments: