Saturday, December 22, 2007

A rant (perhaps) on Sauvignon Blanc

I'm in a quandry about Sauvignon Blanc. In New Zealand we'll try growing almost anything but we're most famous for Marlborough "cat's pee on a gooseberry bush" Sauvignon Blanc. It's a style that polarises international critics and writers and it's not a syle that I can consistently love. I've fallen for NZ sav again though. It's hard not to despite it's awkward, brash swaggering fruit rubbing me up the wrong way when I profess to love elegance and austerity.....

One of my wine hero's is Hugh Johnson and I've been slightly tainted by his dislike of NZ Sauvignon and it's too obvious charms. Too much like a tart in a boudoir, displaying her charms and practically leaping out of the glass for attention. But then it's hard to feel that this is all NZ has to offer on the international stage despite its predominance in wine media literature.

This idea needs more work and more mulling time and I've got to go earna crust so more on this later

No comments: