Saturday, February 28, 2009

Now Very Pregnant Sommelier

And it's mighty hard to taste anything properly!

I've a nose like a beagle but I'm so uncertain of my palate and I'm sipping and spitting which is the preferred, professional mode of tasting but has a certain austerity to it.

I'm about to launch in to writing a new wine list to see my place through winter and my maternity leave so there'll be a necessity for wine notes. But wine notes of what colour? And reliable?

More questions than answers. I've been told Jancis completed her Master of Wine (complete with blind tasting) whilst pregnant.... I'm not sure of the veracity of this but if so......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think, but am not sure, that Emma Wood from Seppelt was pregnant whilst producing current releases. Hats off to her if that was the case, and to JR if thats true to.

Its been really interesting to follow your blog during your pregnancy. Us men will never have any real idea I imagine...

All the best

jeremy

Sarah said...

It's going to get more interesting/wierd the longer I go without a 'drink' of wine. Clinical tasting, whilst informative, loses its lustre when the spitting is necessary/expected by all around you. Lots of releases coming up soon. Off to Cloudy Bay on Thursday and am wondering in the back of my mind how people will react. It can turn into such an loaded emotive act.

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's other people's problem. You look after yourself as I'm sure you have and keep up the blog. Its a goodun in all ways :)

Have fun at Cloudy Bay

jeremy

ps- spitting is a last resort. Hope you enjoy your first glass of wine afterwards. Make sure its a special wine I reckon.