Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Out of wine sorts

I've been feeling at odds with my favourite tipple and it's coalesced into a hiatus in imbibing (but not, it appears in verbosity). I've been scratching around in piles of wine notes looking for inspiration and stumbled across a quote from Eric Asimov which appeared months back on January 25, 2008 in the New York Times online.

He says
"
I prefer oddball, idiosyncratic lists that can’t contain the passion and individual tastes of the sommelier." (Read the rest of the article here)

It's a comforting thought that someone likes wine-lists that run to the left of centre and especially so when I look at the list I'm creating and see those little known gems that might just languish there if I don't spend my nights cheerleading and championing.

The summer list is almost done. It doesn't have this wine on it but this is definitely something that gets the juices flowing.

I sipped the Fromm Clayvin Marlborough Chardonnay 2004 at Euro Bar a wee while back and it was a developed, harmonious drop somewhat at odds with the brash, waterfront location. It smelt like lemons and wet leaves with the oak influence giving just the merest suggestion of cloves. Integrated, fragrant and delicious. a 4 glass wine.

3 comments:

Edward said...

Sarah,

Can you post your summer wine list on the blog when it's done? I love wine lists and would be very interested.

I can only imagine how hard it must be to create one.

Sarah said...

I didn't think of that, but of course. I blether on about it enough.

Sarah said...

although I'm sure you'll be a little horrified at our mark-ups. Oz seems to charge more for food and leave the margin on wine at a much more resaonable level. I'm stuck with charging 300% (and even that was a struggle, when I came on board they were almost at 400%). But often wine-lists don't make sense until you see the spread of prices. No?