Friday, September 19, 2008

Search Out Stonecroft

Sometimes affection for a wine is predictated by a love for the place it is grown and the philosophy of the winemaker.

Mostly I try and divorce myself from these fuzzy emotions and concentrate on what is in the bottle as my guests at the restaurant won't have the advantage of tasting the wine through rose (or golden or garnet or violet) tinted goggles.

Luckily for me, although I was hopelessly, romantically swayed by the rustic, boutique cellar door manned by the family itself (well their son) in the first instance I am sure that the wines deserve affection for themselves. In particular the Stonecroft Old Vine Gewurztraminer 2007 which was just as intoxicating as it should be. Weighty, oily, soft and full with the lightness of rose petals and honeysuckle and dappled light on a gravel driveway. The winery remarks " moody and multifaceted" and I agree.

It's not widely available but search it out. Good Gewurztraminer is such a joy.
A 4 glass wine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And producer of the finest Syrah from the Gravels..

Sarah said...

You're not wrong about that. Somehow they manage to avoid the acetone note that creeps in to many other Gravels Syrah (Craggy especially) and they do a young vines version that is amazing value for money.

All without being a big operation and without selling out to a large company...