Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sexy German Riesling

What on earth do you do with a tasting note that reads:-

sexy, spicy, lemony ?

That's all I have written down for the Markus Molitor Riesling Kabinett 2006. That, and a big tick in the margin, by which I know that this was one of my stand out wines from the European Wine Experience.

This brings home to me the futility of trying to taste so many wines and have any sense of how they were; apart from fleeting impressions and 'big ticks' to indicate desire to try again. Other, better, more organised souls may have developed a system to attack such events and emerge with notes intact but I, quite clearly, have not.

So lets extrapolate....

I know that the vines that produce this wine grow on very steep slate slopes in the middle Mosel and that the elevage of the wine was managed with lots of care and hands on attention including a long period on fine lees. I remember the smell of the wine evoked the sexy reaction with the balance of sugar and acidity pushing aromas out of the glass and that the palate gave me warmth and spicy tingles with an over-riding sensation of Meyer lemon.

A nose of apricot, lemon and pear, a palate of ginger, fennel and lime zest underlayed with slate. Sweet but sexy with it. Balanced, layered, racy and very fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Spectator magazine once had an article written, only slightly tongue-in-cheek, by a guy who previously considered himself a wine expert, who'd lost a bet that after drinking a bottle of wine, we can't even distinguish between a red and a white. He duly downed a bottle, was blindfolded, then admitted he couldn't tell the diff, even when they blended the red and white. I'm sceptical - no matter how much I've drunk I can still tell cheap plonk at ten yards. And anyway, if you only drink good wine you don't wake up with a hangover.