Thursday, February 7, 2008

Reasons for writing a wine blog

I was about to enter murky territory and use someone else's words to express my own feelings. I've been spared that indignity as we've already thrown out yesterdays paper so it's not there for me to reproduce.

My love of wine has me sitting here this afternoon, drinking a (somewhat) forgotten beverage in the form of vermouth. Essentially a fortified, aromatised wine it tends to languish in the drinks cabinet unless you're a hardened drinker of classic martinis. I like it over ice with a slice of lemon and the 'rosso' version better than the 'bianco' as it's a little bitter. Unfashionable but great.

The article that had me so inspired was published in the NZ Herald and written by Jo Burzynska. I've not always been a fan of her wine writing but she had some lovely things to say and they really hit home. Again, I can't quote them verbatim but they beautifully stressed the fact that wine writing should allow others to become informed consumers not bully or badger them into a particular mindset. And that seems like a reason for all the endless lists of fruit and other jargon.

I love wine. I drink a fair bit of it. And I'd like others to be inspired to make interesting choices.

On that note.

Rich and I are going to try a Grillo from Sicily tonight.

No comments: